We've all seen and slept on our fair share of ugly sofa beds. We're talking fluffy, poofy, bars in our back, springs in our sides, coins and popcorn in our sheets, over-sized, over-stuffed...ugly. Something like this:
Unfortunately, most modern sofa beds aren't much better...however, there are a few front runners that give you the convertability of a sofa bed and the good-looks of a modern piece of design. This new generation has shed the name "sofa bed" in exchange for the smoother sounding name, "sleeper sofa."
So, if you have a small house and long to have more room for guests, you just might find your solution below.
First off...I want to introduce you to the grandfather of good-looking sleeper sofas. This baby was made in 1968 and recently sold on Ebay for a pretty penny. You can see why...genius.
And here are a few of my modern favorites. Some are more affordable than others, but hopefully you'll find that all of them give "sofa beds" a better name.
Top Ten Sleeper Sofas
1. My favorite, no doubt, is the aptly named One Night Stand by Blu Dot. It sells for $1799.
2. I also enjoy the James Sofa by Gus Modern, selling for $1356.
3. Third, we have the designer Nomade-Express by Ligne Roset. Selling for $2580, it'd better be comfortable! It also comes in a large variety of fabric textures and colors.
4. Next we have the first of two sleepers from beloved DWR. This is the Havana Sofa with Storage, selling for $3500. (Okay...so we don't necessarily love DWR's prices...but still!)
5. Also from DWR, we have the Twilight Sleep Sofa, which comes in some fun colors and rings in a bit cheaper between $1680 - $1880.
6. If leather is your thing, we have the Oz by Innovation, coming in at $1346.
The next four comprise our "Easy on the Wallet" category of sleepers. For those of us who dream big, but earn little!
7. It just wouldn't be right if Ikea didn't make a showing. Here they are with their Karlstad Sleeper Sofa, coming in at $799. They have a few other sleepers, as well, but this one is the most sofa-like, in my humble opinion.
8. Next we have the Flex Sofa by CB2, coming just short of a four-digit price tag at $999.
9. Next to last, we have the new Clark Sofa by West Elm, also coming in at $999.
10. And in the last slot is a no-name find that is surprisingly attractive as well as being quite budget-friendly...a sleeper by Stendmar Sofa, coming in at a price of $675!
And...an honorable mention, just because it's so darn cool...the Doc sleeper sofa/bunk bed. Check it out:
So, now you really have no excuse not to be hospitable and invite the in-laws over for a stay. You can thank me later!