October 26, 2009

Design on a Dime...

Being a lover of design becomes complicated when living on a tight budget. While most modern designs and great vintage pieces will cost you a pretty penny, there is a solution...and no, I don't mean Ikea.

The solution is in the vocabulary.
I refer to myself not as a shopper, but as a treasure hunter.

Forget big retailers and expensive antique stores (unless you find a deal!)....start searching thrift stores, estate sales, Craigslist, flea markets and the Pennysaver. You'll be amazed at the treasures you can find at affordable prices!

I've been searching for a simple mid-century dresser for a few years. About a month ago, I saw this little guy sitting outside an antique store with the shocking sticker price of $55! I couldn't believe it. It was meant to be. Now he's at home in my bedroom adorned with my beloved flea market owl bank and my estate sale glass bowl (okay...along with a couple of Ikea finds, I admit it!)

I love this little guy...However, my favorite find of all time was my late 60's/early 70's Philco console stereo. I found it at an estate sale at the discounted price of $75! I love it and the sound of vinyl in my living room! (Perhaps I will share those pictures another time, along with some of my other great finds!)

There is something so satisfying about taking your time to collect wonderful pieces over the years. It's so much better than simply running to the store and ending up with the same thing everyone else has! And, as they say, the journey is the best part!

Treasure hunting can not only save you money, but it will fill your house with unique pieces that each have their own story...stories you'll be telling for years.

Happy hunting!

1 comment:

Lisa Ashley said...

Love this and you... i think i need to have a garage sale so i can actually put my treasures more on display!!! i have too much junk right now* thanks for always being inspiring.. i just might steal an idea or 20!

Post a Comment